Your pet’s illness doesn’t observe normal business hours, and neither do we. Whether your pet needs vaccines boostered or life-saving treatment, ZippiVet is open late on weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.
What is Considered an Emergency for Dogs and Cats?
The following conditions warrant an immediate visit. Severely injured pets may act aggressively toward their pet parents, so exercise caution when handling injured pets.
- bite wounds, lacerations, punctures
- hit by car
- blunt object trauma
- Bleeding from the eyes, nose, or mouth, or blood present in urine or feces.
- Signs of extreme pain, such as whining, shaking, hiding, panting, and circling.
- You suspect broken bones.
- Your pet collapses or is unable to stand
- Your pet has had or is having a seizure
- Disorientation, bumping into things
- Eye injuries or sudden blindness
- Loss of conciousness
- Breathing difficulties or hacking and gagging
- Vomiting or diarrhea that persists more than 12 hours
- Swollen and distended abdomen, with vomiting and/or retching
- Straining to urinate or unable to urinate (particularly in male animals)
- More than three to four hours between delivering puppies or kittens.
- Toxin ingestion
- rat poison
- any kind of medication that wasn’t prescribed for your pet
- household cleansers
- Sugar free food, candy, or gum (xylitol)
- Symptoms of heatstroke.
Be Prepared for an Emergency
Your first step is to call your veterinarian. Keep your veterinarian’s name and number as a “favorite” on your mobile phone and in an easily accessible area of your home.
If you and your pet are in an unfamiliar city, use a hospital locator tool to find a vet hospital near you.
What Illnesses and Accidents Can ZippiVet Treat?
Our veterinarians can handle all of the emergencies mentioned above during our operating hours. If you’re concerned about your pet, you should never feel embarrassed about calling us. Our passion is keeping your pet healthy and happy.
ZippiVet is open for walk-ins, drop-offs, and appointments Monday – Friday: 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday – Sunday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., except for a few major holidays. You can always reach us by phone at 512.904.0218 (North) or 512.514.1118 (South) or book an appointment online.